Friday, October 10, 2008

Camp #1 - Redwood Forest

The next stop on our journey is the Redwood forest - the mythical big trees of Humbolt County (or close enough). We set our first camp. There was no stress setting up the tent that Jen and JP loaned us, even though it was close to dark and we hadn't set it before. Things between Wilson and I are going quite smoothly. His 'bin' system works well. On a trip like this, organization minimizes frustration. At least, that is my hope. In theory, it will free us up to live in the moment.

The following misty morning... make that midday...we took the bikes on a trail to the ocean. I hadn't been on my bike since "the accident" so I was dealing with a little demon. I tried my best to hold it together while figuring out that my bike gears aren't working properly. But the deep mud and hills put me over the edge. I started cussing like a sailor and blamed the equipment, Wilson, or anything else (except me of course). Later, I learned that my bike- induced- stress- bitching is to Wilson as MLB playoff games on satellite radio are to me. . . White noise. Good to know. I wondered how he put up with my outbursts. Knowing this, I might learn to apply my energy towards the task at hand.

We encountered this Roosevelt Elk on the path down to the beach, and later a whole family. In both cases, Wilson told me to plow on through on my bike while he stayed behind to take photos. Isn't that chivalrous!

For those that are curious about what a Roosevelt Elk actually looks like, here's a photo where focus doesn't cost extra. This guy was about 100 yards from the Pacific Ocean.

We had a great day in the Redwoods. It is hard to capture the scale through photos, but these are the best.


We still don't know our next move. Haven't had cell service or weather info for two days. While packing up camp under fabulous blue skies, we were tempted to stay in the Redwoods, but Wilson needs cell service for a conference call on Thursday morning. So off we go.

6 comments:

Patrick said...

I feel like a total stalker being the only one "following" this blog. If it freaks you out having my picture on your page, I'll stop.

I had a thought flash through my mind tonight. I think the handwriting was on the wall when Pike sent out the note about the I-90 closure for the Blue Angels last summer. I wonder if someone tipped him off that he would need to be doing it in the future?

Things are really boring around the office without the Affeld family around. Looking forward to some college hoops with Mr. Affeld.

Later.

Amy A said...

I don't think most know about the "following" thing, even the Old Man didn't know what it was, and he's been blogging for several years. btw, what does it mean ? Do you get an email or something when we update it ?

also, the Old Man is considering taking the 30 points today. Go Cougs !

Patrick said...

So I was hoping that I would recieve an email when you posted, but it turns out that all it does is give me an alert on my Blogger log in site, so I probably will stop "following" your blog. But I will continue to enjoy it.

Charlotte will be at the game today in her WSU Cheerleader outfit, so hopefully she'll bring us some luck. Take the Cougs!

Patrick said...

Oh, and you can see some pictures of the outfit soon at our blog, http://www.browndepot.com !

Anonymous said...

Good point about the Pike email. I gave him hell about it when he sent it. It just wasn't right.

I would agree too that things are boring. By boring I mean quiet. When Ross and Dave F. aren't around, the silence is deafening.

Anonymous said...

Love Wilson sending you on by the elk so he can get the photo--what the hell Wilson????
xoxoox
Susie